New Quilt-Along Starting Soon!!!

 

Lazy Star Quilt Project

Using the “Lazy Angle” Ruler from Creative Grids

39” x 39”


This Quilt is designed as a sampler star quilt using the Lazy Angle ruler from Creative Grids. We will create stars and angels that would either have to be created using paper piecing methods or templates. Here we are going to be using just 1 ruler that will help us cut all of our pieces. The beauty is we have many size options. This is such a wonderful tool, I hope you will have as much fun as I did when working with this ruler. 


As I mentioned before this is going to be a weekly “block of the month” so block of the week but I may release two videos a week sometimes. But they will always be available on youtube forever :). Also each week I will post on my block the written cutting instructions that will include step by step cutting and sewing instructions so you can either view them on your computer, tablet, phone or print them out. I will have them as pdf files so easy to work with. Please if you see any errors let me know asap, no one is perfect and I am FAR FROM IT.


The picture above is what the end goal is but feel free to make and do whatever you wish. I know customers like to know what they are going to have finished when they get started so I wanted to show you. As you can see in the quilt some blocks look more difficult than others because there are some super easy stars, so we are going to an easy and then do a more challenging star and flip back and forth each week or so. I hope that everyone learns something from this class. That is why I enjoy teaching because I  love sharing knowledge with everyone in hopes that they will share it with others. So let's get started and remember if you have any problems or questions let me know, don’t hesitate to ask. Also write comments in the comment section in each video so if some else has that same question they can see it, I can easily see your comment and I’ll answer it there. I do ask that you PLEASE allow at least 24 hours for me to reply because people think I am already crazy for taking on another venture like this but I am so excited but I am a busy person, so thank you in advance for being patient. 


Supplies for the class:


Fabric

    I highly recommend using solid fabrics for the blocks, I can’t emphasize enough how this changes things when it comes to cutting out your stars especially when you are first getting started. Using solids just makes your life soooo much easier. 


The fabrics I used were Free Spirit Designer Solids. Pink - Taffy, Teal- Julep, Purple - Wisteria, Cream - (Unknown), White is a Riley Blake Confetti Cotton


So I got: 

        1 yard of a background fabric (white)

1 yard of star fabric A (Pink)

1 yard of star fabric B (Teal)

¼ yard of star fabric C (Cream)

The cream fabric is just required for two blocks we are going to because of the design of the star, it needed another color to make it work. 

1 ¼ yard of the purple fabric for sashing/borders and binding ***This can be a print, this does not have to be solids because we are not cutting angles with this fabric.

Other accessories


  • Lazy Angle Ruler by Creative Grids, this is a MUST HAVE this is what the entire class is built around is the ruler. :) You can find this at your local quilt shop or my shop will be happy to mail you one just contact them (985) 898-1112, or email them at info@sewthis.net


  • A long cutting ruler I use a 6 ½” x 24 ½” Creative Grid ruler but just as long as you have a ruler that can cut strips off of your yardage that will work.


  • A rotary cutter to be able to cut your fabric ;)


  • A sewing machine with a ¼” foot 


  • A Iron because it will be very important to to press your seams


  • I also found my 6 ½’’ x 6 ½” ruler really helped and my 10 ½” x 10 ½” really helped me square up my blocks if needed, many square rulers will work, these are just my fav and standard square rulers.

  • Thread, when piecing  my quilts I use 50wt Aurfil on the top and 80wt Decobob on the bobbin, but you can just use the Aurfil on the top and bobbin if you like. But I do highly recommend using a nice thin thread when piercing it allows your seams to lay flatter, this is why I use the 80 wt on the bobbin when piecing. 





Petrie is always here ready to help if you have any questions. ;)

learningtosewwithpete@gmail.com



Comments

Popular Posts